Saturday, April 30, 2005

Couldn't find a soaker pattern I loved, so I'm faking it. So far, it seems to be working. I'm extra proud of making the eyelets in the middle of the ribbing. Everyone else probably knows how to do things like that, but I had to work a bit to figure it out.



Think those needles would glow in the dark? The two colorful little skeins are what used to be Branching Out before I frogged it and got out the food coloring. If things work out the way I hope they will, they're going to be bookmarks one of these days.

It's been a good day. I made it to the Aurora Colony Handspinner's Guild Fiber Fair, and the kids let me sit through two of the three demos I really wanted to see. I'm still as confused as ever by how shadow knitting works, but now I've seen first hand how neat it looks. Wonder if I could put one of those SNB aliens on the front of a baby sweater? The talk on Exploring Color Relationships of Dyed Roving to Spun Yarn was incredible. The speaker showed samples of dyed roving, yarn spun from the roving, and swatches knit from the yarn. And some honeycomb pattern hats in different colors that showed how different the variegated yarn looked when paired with different solids. A lot of it went over my head, but I still know more than I did yesterday. I wanted to stick around for the talk on picking out fleeces, but decided it wasn't safe to push my luck with the boys.

Yesterday was kind of mediocre. I got in a lot more knitting time than I expected, because I was stuck at home without a car. Someone smashed the side window of the Tercel. They didn't even get inside -- either that, or they didn't take anything and locked the door behind them, which I kind of doubt. So instead going to the used curriculum sale and physical therapy and the grocery store, I cleaned house and knitted on Quinn's diaper soaker and a square for the blanket the Knittingparents list is making.

Right before bed, I was reading Knitter's Almanac because I thought the part about baby leggings might help me figure out what to do with the crotch of the soaker. The leggings made my head spin the same way it did the first time I read through the book, but the Pi Shawl makes sense. I need to knit one. Now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails