Friday, September 02, 2011

Sauerkraut Soup

The first time my husband made this, I accused him of wasting my favorite sausage. Now, it's one of my favorite soup recipes.



4 medium potatoes
1 package sausage (I used Johnsonville Apple Chicken Sausage)
1 32 ounce jar sauerkraut
1 large can chicken broth

Cut sausage into small pieces. Add sausage and a bit of olive oil to the bottom of a dutch oven or stock pot and cook until browned, then move sausage into a bowl until later.

Add a large can of chicken broth to the stock pot. Peel four medium potatoes and cut into small pieces. Cook the potatoes in the broth until they're about half done.

Drain the sauerkraut, but don't rinse it. Add the sauerkraut and sausage to the pot and bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour or so. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

I love soup recipes that I can start when I've got some time, then simmer until we're ready to eat dinner. It saves me from frantic last minute rushing and trying to time things so that they're done by a certain time on the clock.

I think I could eat this every night, except I've got to watch my green vegetables because they can interfere with the blood thinners. And, somehow, sauerkraut is a green vegetable. Yeah, I know it's cabbage, but I have a hard time lumping it in with the brussel sprouts and broccoli.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails