Sunday, March 11, 2012

I need something sharper

A few months back, I read about Skinning a Quilt. This week, I got to try it for myself. More than once. I sure wish I'd had a scalpel -- or at least a sharper seam ripper -- to do it with. The quilt did get quilted after a couple of false stars, and I'm absolutely loving it, but I can't show it off quite yet.



What techniques have you read about and then unexpectedly found yourself using?

Weekly Stash Report

Fabric Used this Week: 9.5 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 24.5 yards
Added this Week: 8 yards
Added Year to Date: 57.75 yards
Net Added for 2012: 33.25 yards

I bought some more white muslin because I didn't think I had enough for my March NewFO. I want to be sure the white blocks are all the same white. To see more weekly stash reports, click over to Patchwork Times.

6 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Remember, seam rippers dull like scissors. For the cost of them I just get a new one every once in a while.

This week I was facinated with a basket weave quilt. The tutorial is at Honey Bear Lane. I am finishing one up today or tomorrow. I too am waiting until I run it through the wash and fluff a couple of times for the big reveal on my blog. Stay tuned... Oh, the tute is here:
http://www.honeybearlane.com/2012/02/basketweave-quilt-pattern.html

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

If you are careful you can use a razor blade too

Doris Rice, The Quilting Queen said...

I haven't used it but a friend uses a mustache trimmer to "unsew". She calls it her "unsewing machine". And the great thing is they are very inexpensive; less than $20. Of course even a great seam ripper is less than $10 but she says her "unsewing machine" lasts 10 times longer than a seam ripper.

Richard Healey said...

Nice usage this week. I have thought about tracking mine then I decide against it because the calculations in my head hurts but yours is pretty impressive this week.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
http://trackmyshows.blogspot.com

Jennie P. said...

I've never heard that term, but after watching the video it seems appropriate :) Thanks for sharing. I'm sure I'll have to do this on my quilt.

Jo said...

UGH
Sorry the quilting part isn't going well...I hate ripping.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails