Saturday, September 08, 2012

protecting my children from dangerous pickles

This is a jar of my great-grandma's sweet pickles, made by my grandmother this year. Pickling them is a lengthy process involving a heavy stoneware crock and several weeks of time. I've made pickles myself, but not these pickles. And these are, in my opinion, the only real pickles. I'll eat store bought pickles, but they aren't these.



About a decade ago, Grandma made what we were warned was her last batch of pickles. The jars were divided up among the family and carefully hoarded in the backs of our pantries. I think a few might have been used as currency.

So this brand new jar was a happy surprise. I haven't had any of these in ages.

According to that food preservation class I took at the County Extension office years ago, it's only safe to use recipes that have been officially tested. Old family recipes are unsafe.

So, if I keep the whole jar for myself, it counts as protecting my precious children, right?

6 comments:

Vic in NH said...

You are such a good mother, taking on all that danger! LOL! But Gawd, get the recipe before it's too late.

Denise :) said...

Hahaha! What a marvelous and self-sacrificing mom you are!! They do look pretty darn good! :)

Allie said...

ROFL - YES you are protecting your children! And definitely get that recipe written down and start practicing it.

Needled Mom said...

Absolutely!!!!!! Are they sweet pickles? Those old recipes are real keepers. I have a Sweet Lime Pickle recipe from my grandmother that makes the best pickles ever.

Sarah Craig said...

Definitely get the recipe! My grandmother died without ever sharing her recipe for crispy watermelon rind pickles - she never even wrote it down, so no one would learn her secret. They were the only crisp watermelon rind pickles I ever had, then or since!

KaHolly said...

Works for me!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails