Thursday, December 19, 2013

Waiting until you find a good deal...

Years ago, I read that when you decide you need something, you shouldn't run right out and buy one. Instead, you should hold off and give yourself a chance to find a really great deal, or one that someone is giving away, or decide that you don't need it at all. 


Obviously that isn't going to work for some things. But others, like sock blockers, can wait. In my case, the urge passed and it wasn't until I was taking pictures for Judy's pooling sock yarn challenge and my socks weren't lying nicely that I started thinking about a pair again.

Sock blockers aren't cheap. And I don't really intend to block my socks, just stretch them out a bit for pretty pictures. I decided that there were other things I needed more than props for sock pictures... then a kid held up one of these at an estate sale and asked me what it was. I'd been in that room three times and had noticed them hanging there and it hadn't clicked in my brain what they were -- three dollar sock blockers, for half off, and they were adjustable.

According to this etsy listing, they're Rowan adjustable sock blockers. The pair advertised adjusts for socks from 8.5 to 10.5.  Either my set is bigger or you're supposed to really stretch socks a lot while blocking them (the smallest size seems awfully big for my ladies size 11 socks.)

In this case, waiting for seven years paid off!

This post is linked to Knick of Time Tuesday, Tuesday's Treasures, Time Travel Thursday, Ivy & Elephants & Vintage Thingie Thursday, Share Your Cup, We Call it Olde, Thriftasaurus, Thrifter Share.

2 comments:

LV said...

I have been around a long time, but do not recall seeing these before. I would probably never take the time to use them.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of them, so I learned something new! Thanks for sharing at History & Home - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails