Thursday, December 26, 2013

Wooden Spoon Love

Do you know how hard it is to take a picture of wooden spoons?

I'm not going to admit how much time I spent trying to get a good picture of these spoons. The original plan was to stand them up in a vintage canning jar...but I couldn't get pictures that match the image I had in my head.  And I really want to show you these spoons so you can see why I was so happy when I found them at an estate sale a few weeks back. 


On my first trip to the sale, they were stuck together in a vase with masking tape across the bowl of each spoon. Fifty cents each. Not bad at all....but I wasn't sure if I wanted to cook with someone else's old wooden spoons. 

On our return trip the following day, everything was half off and they were still there in the kitchen waiting for me. I know I've seen neat things with wooden spoons on Pinterest....haven't I? (I just checked, and now I'm remembering exactly what I'd seen.)

They rattled around in the back of the van for a while until I finally got them into the house and took my first "those are mine" look.  These aren't like the new wooden spoons I've bought at the Dollar Tree (they don't sell them anymore -- but they've got wooden sporks, which just aren't gonna work for making cookies). They've got a totally different weight and patina...they're chunky and uneven....do you see the oddly shaped bowl of the third one from the top? 

Am I the only one who gets weirdly giddy about old kitchen stuff? 

5 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I know they have been loved. My old wooden spoons are my go to utensil in my kitchen.

Dar said...

I use my wooden spoons almost every day when cooking. The only problem is, they are not as unique as yours. Mine are from the discount stores about 10 years ago. What did you see on Pintrest that sparked your interest? I'm curious if I'm missing out on something. lol

HeatherK @ A Reformed Heath'n said...

No, you're not the only one :) One year I got my mom an old egg beater for her camping gear--you know, the kind you hold with one hand and spin with the other. I love looking through vintage collections.

Sowing Stitches said...

Wooden spoons! These are just lovely...You post has me thinking...I really really like cooking with wooden spoons, not even sure how many are down in my kitchen...but I do know how many metal and plastic... 2 metal cooking spoons and 0 plastic cooking spoons...the Woodie's Rule my kitchen! :)

Kitchener Quilter said...

I love old stuff like that, too. Those spoons could well have been made by the man of the house. They don't have that perfect machined look.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails