Wednesday, December 11, 2013

{Yarn Along} 1955 The Summer When...

Aren't these little angel ornaments adorable? The pattern is Hurricane Angel, a free Ravelry download. The head and gown are knit in one piece and the two wings and halo are knit separately. There's a lot of shaping, but it goes quickly, and I think they're cute enough to be worth some minor effort. 


I'm not so sure about the Christmas Shark... I don't think I have the enthusiasm to make him more than once!






I've posted before that I enjoy reading books about places I'll never visit myself and 1955 The Summer When... fits the bill nicely, sweeping the reader along to post-war Paris and Spain and Italy with nineteen-year-old Valerie Thornhill.

As I read, I kept comparing Valerie to the author of The Doris Diaries. Unlike Doris, Valerie doesn't blithely assume that she'll be safe or that everything will work out. She sets out on the trip alone and occasionally finds herself in uncomfortable situations, often with people who are known to her and who she felt she could trust. She also makes the best of things, coping with shared bathrooms that lack locks and learning to navigate different cultures.  I highly recommend this book -- you can read excepts on Valerie Thornhill's website, or more about her current life at her blog, Fifties Girl.

For more pretty knitting projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times and Work in Progress Wednesdays at Tami's Amis



Disclosure -- The publisher provided me with an electronic ARC. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adorable little angels and shark!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails