Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Quilted Turtles



This is one of those long-term projects. I made the first of the blocks back in October 2012 and put together a tutorial explaining how to make the block with the AcccuQuilt Go! Drunkard's Path and Dresden Plate dies. Then I went through the usual routine of trouble choosing the right green fabrics (because I only got to use 16 different prints -- that's daunting!), putting it aside to work on something else, losing some of the pieces (big problem since the light blue background is a vintage sheet that I was never going to be able to match), not knowing what to do for a border...messing up the math for the border...  I got the top assembled last September and basted it on Mom's longarm in late November.

The plan has always been to quilt each turtle in a different design.




Turtle #1 is a single continuous spiral, which was probably the worst idea I could have come up with. This quilt is so much bigger and heavier than anything I've done on my DSM in recent months that I couldn't maneuver it smoothly. I thought it would be just like quilting a spiral on a baby quilt, but it's not for a lot of different reasons that I should have probably realized in advance.


Turtle #2 is a kind of radiating flower design. Starts in the center and goes out, just like the spiral, but it offers a lot more opportunities to start and stop without obvious glitches in the stitching.  


Turtle #3 is a kind of pebbled design, which really  shows up well on this fabric. I think it might be my favorite turtle so far!

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Fun design!

Audrey said...

Great idea for each turtle! It must be fun coming up with a design to put on each one!

Dar said...

Cute pattern. Those turtles should give you lots of FMQ practice.

Quilting Nonnie said...

What a great pattern. I admire your creativity. The idea to quilt each turtle differently is fantastic? Are you using any of Leah Day's quilting designs?

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Cute! I remember when you first showed this! Thanks for sharing! Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Regina said...

Swoon! Love these! I am working on a slightly different style turtle quilt and contemplating the shell quilting as well - have yet to make a decision...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails