Friday, April 11, 2014

{Let's Make Baby Quilts!} 4/11/14


Do you have groups of fabric set aside for baby quilts? A few years back, I was sorting through my scrap bags and pulled together the fabrics that finally became the pink bird quilt and this week's new quilt top.  I think the idea was that they'd go together quickly next time I planned a baby quilt binge and tried to do ten quilts in ten days or something else equally silly, but it's been a long time since I managed one of those. The bags with the fabric got buried and forgotten until I unearthed them again while cleaning. And that's okay, because at this point in time a couple of kitted up baby quilts were exactly what I needed. 


This one is very loosely based on the Flexi Strip Baby Quilt tutorial that I linked to last week. I knew that I was going to use every last bit of that animal print and I didn't want to cut it into narrower strips and lose any of the critters, so I squared up the piece I had and built the rest of the quilt around it.

Looking back, I can see about a dozen different ways I could have done this and I might wish I'd chosen one of the different options, but I'm going to quilt it and bind it and give it away and not fuss over what might have been. It's cute this way. And one of the things I love about the baby quilts is that I don't have to obsess over every last decision because the quilts aren't going to live with me.

There are a lot of the solids left over and they just happen to go nicely with a backing fabric I've got in my stash, so now I know what my next baby quilt is going to be. Don't you just love watching the possibilities open up as you finish projects and figure out what's left to work with?

Let's Make Baby Quilts Linky Party Rules:
Link directly to your post or specific Flickr photo. Your post can be about a baby quilt that's finished, or in progress, or you can be writing about what you have planned, as long as it's about baby quilts. You're welcome to link to baby quilt posts that aren't brand new, but please don't submit the same post or picture more than once. I'd love it if you linked back to my site, either with a text link or the Let's Make Baby Quilts! button.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love, love the quilt. I am into simple quilts most of the time and this one, makes such a statement. Would be easy for boys quilts, as I seem to have baby boys popping up all over the place these days.
A great blog, altho I cannot join a club to do these, I am going to make some as soon as my life is more normal and I am back on my little island.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails