Sunday, February 01, 2015

Weekly Stash Report

It wasn't a productive week. I finished another pair of socks and hiked with the family to the Witch's Castle in Forest Park.

And I brought home a whole bunch more stuff from Grandma's house -- thread, bits of lace, some gardening books for Hubby because he said he wanted them. Some towels that Grandpa didn't want, because with six people there are never ever enough towels. It's mostly useful stuff. I don't quite know what I'm going to do with the sewing gadgets, aside from finally researching some tutorials and learning hairpin lace, but it goes against my grain to throw things like that away.

A helpful friend who is happily de-cluttering her own house suggested that I choose one thing of my grandmother's to display and let everything else go. Um....thanks for the advice, but no. That's not the way my life works.

I have four children who all had relationships with their great-grandmother. I could set aside something for each of them, but at this point in their lives it would be a total guessing game.

If I'd used that strategy when my other grandma died, I would never have chosen the two things that I'd pick today if I had to pare things down -- the ugly tiki painting and the honey jar that has its lid glazed on. (For the record, the tiki painting isn't on display because my husband hates it and I don't love it enough to want it anywhere but in my sewing room. The honey jar lives on my kitchen windowsill and makes me smile every time I glance over at it.)

While emotions are still raw, I'm not making any lifelong choices where the heirlooms are concerned. The thread and towels could probably go, but we plan on using those.

Weekly Stash Report 

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 0 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 34 yards
Net Added for 2014: 34 yards

Yarn Used this Week:  400 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 1200 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 0 yards
Net Used for 2014: 1200 yards

1 comment:

Dar said...

I think you are very wise with your choice of waiting and NOT throwing out everything. Of course, I am a big pack rat, but over the years I found that it paid off not to pitch useful items, even if they were not useful to me at the time. Your likes change and especially with young people. I wish someone would have thought of me when my grandma died. She was a quilter and I have nothing from her sewing room although I doubt she had a room she called her sewing room. I would have loved her Singer treadle for sure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails