Thursday, September 24, 2015

{Bed Turning} Grandma's Red and White Quilt

The fabrics are so faded you can barely see them, and the quilt itself is so tattered it's painful, but it has the best story and that makes it my favorite. 


When she was in second grade, Grandma ran away from school. She went to the top of a hill near her house and refused to come back down.

Aunt Clara (who would have been Great Grandma Walters's sister, if you're keeping track of the family tree) made this quilt to bribe her. 


That story has got to be one of the best quilt stories ever. (I might be just a little biased.)

There's no batting between the layers. I think that was is there is flannel. If this quilt was made in a hurry, I wonder if that's all Aunt Clara had on hand or if this was what she always used.


Be sure to come back tomorrow afternoon. I've got more quilts to show you! 

2 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

I'm falling in love with your little bed turning series. Such a beautiful display of the past with a little history. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait till the next post!

PaulaB quilts said...

What a sweet quilt and a sweet story. Your sister was one lucky girl. I hope you also got a quilt. Please check out my Throwback Thursday post to see if you remember my fabric.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails