Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Old Barn


I can still tell you what was on which wall in the house I grew up in. The house was more or less constant.  Replacing stuff because it was "dated" wasn't an idea I grew up with. No one was running down to Target or Walmart (not that we had those to run to) because there was a cute new trend. 

This weathered barn hung in the utility  room (along with the 1905 painting, although I didn't know what that was until I was an adult.)  I'd been wondering what happened to the old Coca-Cola barn after Mom and Dad moved to the new house, then I saw it hanging at their place in Sisters, across from the washer and dryer. Some of the tole painting that I loved as a child has lost its appeal, but I still love this piece. 

It seems like there are fewer and fewer of these old barns in real life. I love how the weathered wood this one is painted on adds so much texture and detail. It's even neater than the chamber pot

I wonder if kids whose moms didn't paint things remember what was on their walls when they were little...

This post is linked to Let's Talk Vintage 

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love old barns and it's true, you do not see many these days! I have several barn pictures in my house but I really love this one on that wood! Have a wonderful week!!

Unknown said...

I love this barn wood piece! We had one my mom painted before I was born, in our house growing up as a kid. I can tell you I will be hanging that piece of my childhood on my own wall one day! Yours is a beauty cherish it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails