Thursday, March 03, 2016

{Throwback Thursday} Double Irish Chain -- the First One

It always surprises me how little my taste in quilts has changed over the past decade. The kinds of quilts that make my heart go pitty-pat haven't changed all that much.

Which is nice, because it means that I still love most of my early projects.


I finished the top for this quilt back in 2009. pin basted it a year later, then procrastinated for another two years before I worked up the nerve to quilt it. It was, and still is, one of my absolute favorite quilts and I was afraid of ruining it with my beginning attempts at free-motion quilting.

In hindsight, it's probably a good thing that I waited.

There are at least twenty different brown prints here, most of them purchased just for this project. I did a lot of shopping and searching for just the right colors, which may make it one of the more expensive quilts I've made to date. I don't plan many quilts like that these days. If I can't pull most of it from my scrap bags, it probably isn't going to happen.

5 comments:

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

I can't tell you how many of my quilts I put off quilting for fear of ruining them with my quilting! One has to love a Double Irish Chain. My very first quilt was one... I can't say that I love it the way I did when I finished it back in 1998. Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

JanineMarie said...

I don't think an Irish chain will ever go out of style--although they will reflect the fabrics of the time. I'm glad you worked up the nerve to finish it even if it did have to wait a few years.

Tish Stemple said...

Irish Chain quilts are definitely a classic. I love the browns in this quilt. I too understand being afraid to quilt something because I'm so afraid that I will be disappointed by my quilting. When you sink so much time and money in piecing, quilting it can be so stressful.

Mad Cat Quilts said...

So Lovely!

Jo said...

It's so pretty. Irish Chains are a favorite of mine but haven't made one yet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails