Monday, October 30, 2017

A Halloween Treat for My Readers

I was going to post this on Halloween, but then I decided that if you want to sew a spooky last minute project, you might appreciate the extra day. 

Because everyone (or maybe just me and my offspring)  needs a coffin-shaped pencil holder... 


If you have the materials handy, it won't take long at all to make. While I was putting mine together, I kept thinking of ways to make it more fun like adding a red lining or trapunto and free motion quilting. But Halloween is tomorrow.  The clock is ticking and now is the time for something quick and easy.

You'll need:

two 4 1/2" x 8 1/2" rectangles of coffin colored fabric
one 7" zipper
one 4 1/2" x 8 1/2" rectangle of paper
matching thread

About that zipper -- These instructions don't explain how to install it. Let me know if you need a separate zipper tutorial and I'll put one together. The zipper I used was labeled 7" and measured the same as my 8 1/2" cut of fabric. You can always shorten a longer zipper from your stash. That's what I'd do if I hadn't gotten lucky with the one I grabbed!


Start by folding the piece of paper in half lengthwise with the fold on the left. Along the top and bottom edges, measure in 1 1/4" from the fold and make a dot. Measure 3" down from the top edge and make a third dot on the side that isn't folded.


Connect the dots and cut along the lines. When you unfold it, you'll have a coffin shape. Don't cut your fabric into that shape yet!


Using your rotary cutter and ruler, cut one of the fabric rectangles into two 8 1/2" x 2 1/4" rectangles.


Install the zipper and top stitch along either side.


Now's the time to cut the zippered rectangle and the plain rectangle into the coffin shape that we just created. Doing it this way means that even if the seam allowance on your zipper isn't perfect, both pieces will be the same size. (Or, if your seam allowances are perfect when it comes to zippers, it means I don't have to figure out how to make oddly shaped pattern pieces that will come out the proper size.)


With the zipper open, place both pieces right sides together and sew all the way around the outside edge. You'll be using the open zipper to turn it open.

Turn and press and fill with nice pens or yummy candy for your favorite little monsters.


Be sure to check out  my other free Halloween Tutorials -- Halloween Parlor Quilt Haunted House PotholderPotion Bottle Mug RugPumpkin Carving Wall Quilt To be notified when new tutorials are added, follow my blog or like Michelle's Romantic Tangle on Facebook, Instagram, or YouTube.


This post is linked to Bag It! and Crazy Mom Quilts




4 comments:

Patty said...

Quite the unique bag! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts Bag It!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

What a fun idea! Spooky and useful :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great idea for a Halloween bag!!

Sandra :) said...

That is PRICELESS! I just popped over from Bag It to see if I was actually seeing a coffin - I thought I needed to put my glasses on, lol. Every year I do pouches for my favourite neighbour kids and greats (nieces/nephews) because I make them special little Halloween treat packages - this year I did flex frame bags in Halloween prints, but ran out of time, so sadly, some of them got store bought paper bags, boo hoo :( Next year they're getting coffin bags - this is so awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails